FitCity 2017 will take place on 06.06.17 at the Museum of the Moving Image in Astoria, Queens. Hosted by AIA New York and the NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, the FitCity conference champions the role of Active Design in building strong and sustainable communities. Since 2006, FitCity has served as a platform for exchanging ideas, informing strategies, and advancing a community of practice to promote health through the design of the built environment.
In 2016, FitCity was hosted in Brooklyn—the first year the conference was hosted outside of Manhattan —and brought together over 200 participants from the fields of architecture, urban planning, and public health to share human-centered design strategies for reimagining a healthy and inclusive city.
This year, FitCity lands in Queens, New York’s largest and most diverse borough. The fitting backdrop will be used to explore how designers, policymakers, public health professionals, community advocates, and funders are working hand-in-hand with local residents to create healthy neighborhoods anchored by strong civic assets like parks, libraries, and museums.
Register Now for FitCity 2017! 7 AIA and LA LU | HSW will be available for attendees.
- Registration is now open for the Hyper-Efficient Building Workshops, AIANY and Urban Green Council’s in-depth training on the design of hyper-efficient buildings and compliance with Local Law 31/32. The two-day workshops are limited to 25 participants and open to all architects, designers, engineers, and construction trade professionals. The first workshops are being held on 06.14.17-06.15.17 at the Center for Architecture. Register here.
- Registration is now open for SpeakUp 2017, AIA’s premier advocacy training event in Denver, CO. Running from 07.19-21.17, SpeakUp will unite you with other engaged AIA members to develop the skills you need to advocate for your profession and your community. Use your passion to advance positive change for the profession! Register for SpeakUp 2017 today.
- On 05.05.17, AIANY hosted NYC Department of Buildings (DOB) Commissioner Chandler at the Center for Architecture. Commissioner Chandler covered DOB’s ongoing effort to increase transparency and efficiency through new digital platforms. The entire presentation is available to view here.
- On 05.19.17, AIANY hosts NYC Department of Design and Construction Commissioner Peña-Mora at the Center for Architecture from 9-10am. Topics to be discussed include recent DDC achievements, DDC capital program, Design and Construction Excellence 2.0, Guiding Principles and Handbooks, as well as new initiatives and next steps. There will also be opportunities to ask questions. Interested members may register here.
- On 05.31.17, City & State New York host their CSR Awards in Real Estate & Construction at the New York Law School. The awards ceremony celebrates individuals and companies that demonstrate excellent corporate social responsibility effort in the real estate and construction sector. AIANY Executive Director Ben Prosky will be a featured speaker. RSVP today!