This is Buckminster Fuller week in the city. Panel discussions at the Center for Architecture, the opening of the Dymaxion Study Center, an installation of an authentic Fly’s Eye Dome in LaGuardia Park, and exhibitions at the Max Protetch Gallery and the Whitney Museum are just some of the happenings celebrating what would have been the architectural master’s 113th birthday. Go to the AIANY Calendar for more information and event listings.
– Jessica Sheridan, Assoc. AIA, LEED AP
THE CENTER: AIANY BLOG: The AIANY Chapter has launched a new blog. The Center features opinion pieces on architectural issues relevant to NY-based designers, firms, and projects, along with spotlight debates and discussions at the Center for Architecture and AIANY, and is an informal discussion board. Be sure to check it out regularly and contribute to the dialogue.
Some of the recent debates include:
· 980 Madison Avenue. Foster + Partners is proposing a 10-story addition to the existing landmarked building. Read some of the pros and cons about the project.
· Buildings Commissioner Qualifications. NYC is still undecided about whether the Buildings Commissioner must be licensed to hold the position. Read the AIANY Policy Update.
· St. Vincent’s Hospital Expansion. Read about AIANY testimony at the Landmarks Preservation Commission.
· Work/Life Balance. This ongoing discussion is at the forefront of the AIANY Women in Architecture (WIA) Committee meetings.
To become a regular contributor to The Center, please e-mail e-Oculus.